.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Me and Ms Jones....



Yesterday I attended my first blog "conference".....
the first ever Mumsnet Blogfest.

The day began with an inspiring keynote speech from lawyer (& wife of the Deputy Prime Minister) Miriam Gonzalez Durantez & closed with the brilliant Caitlin Moran.

And in beween, I spent a fantastically inspiring day listening to many writers & journalists who I have admired for years....
Zoe Williams, Zoe Margolis, Sali Hughes, Erica Davies, Tim Dowling, Gaby Wood, Zoe Strimpel

and Liz Jones.

Liz was part of a panel entitled
"Private Lives on a Public Stage : how much should you reveal online?"
As we all know, Liz has shared pretty much every single detail over the years so I would imagine Mumsnet were clapping their hands with glee when she accepted their invitation.
She did indeed have much to share.

I should say that I have been reading Liz Jones for many many years, ever since she was editor of Marie Claire back in the day, I've probably read more words from her than any other journalist.
She was an excellent editor.

I was intrigued to see & hear her yesterday -
in fact, she cut a sad, lonely & pretty poignant figure.
When asked if she regretted anything she'd written, she instantly replied "Yes, all of it".
She says she has no relationships.
She's a self-confessed "gut-spiller", believing that if you are being paid to write, then it is your responsibility to be 100% honest - regardless of whether it offends or upsets.

I happened to be interviewed by Ms Jones shortly before the panel began.
This consisted of a very fast 3 minute impromptu chat.

In response to her questions, I told her that I began my blog over three years ago in order to create a space to connect with my pre-motherhood London girl life....
whilst being a mother obviously informs my blog since it is a huge part of who I am, my blog is about my interests & my life outside being a mother.

It might have begun as an escape or a distraction but has evolved into so much more.
So many opportunities....I work with brands that I admire, I've travelled, been to brilliant & exciting events, learned an enormous amount, met so many inspiring people, I've raised money for charity, I earn an income  ....all from my blog.
It's all been positive....not one negative. Not even a negative comment.

I'm a mother who blogs - but I don't write a parenting blog.
I'm simply a blogger. I write.

The majority of the attendees yesterday were bloggers - and contrary to Ms Jones' assertion, I saw only one "pram" & only three tiny sleeping babies.

There might have been cake but this was no fluffy coffee morning -
it was a meeting of minds, businesswomen, smart & high achieving.
Eloquent & funny, ambitious & knowledgeable women, some brilliant writers.
These are most definitely not women who "sit" at home.

Add to that a huge amount of mutual admiration, encouragement & support.
That thing that women can do for other women so well. 

The attendees were there as bloggers & writers, as women planning their futures, moving forward, seeing the bigger picture. 

As I have written many times and wrote here just the other day, blogging has added immeasurably to my life....I find it empowering & joyful.
And for what it's worth, I did not - and never will - describe my daily life as "humdrum".
It isn't.

Liz Jones wrote about yesterday's event here....
you can make your own judgement but I feel she has missed the point totally.

It doesn't make me mad, it makes me just really disappointed that this is what she took away from the day.

My fellow blogger Leslie wrote a great post here which is so worth reading....  

I'm sure if you asked Caitlin Moran & other speakers present yesterday the same thing, they'd respond very differently & much more positively.

Once more, I am left shaking my head & wondering why she does it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...