.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

roses in water



What a boost to have fresh flowers in the house throughout the winter. Yesterday this half dozen of soft peach roses looked so pretty at my grocery and for just four dollars! Now that the garden has gone to sleep for the winter, the grocery store cut flower season has started. No matter where cut flowers are bought, they are all being grown in South America with the exception of local summer flowers at farm markets so the grocery is as good a source as any. 


For years I have avoided buying cut roses. When I have received them for a birthday or anniversary, they usually did not open fully and their heads would appear too heavy and droop. I cut them at sharp angles with sharp pruners and always had food in the water but it made no difference.  I recently decided to try again as I miss having their beauty in the house. I am now using some new (but old to those in the know) techniques with success and roses are now my new favorite flower!


I cut the stems fully immersed in water. Once I have placed them in the vase, I cup my fingers and very gently open the bud to reveal the petals somewhat. They seem to like this as they now have been opening beautifully to reveal all their loveliness! Am I the only one to not know how to properly care for cut roses? Thank you Google.

stylish serendipity photos

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...