.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Baby Crib Mobile


After hours and hours of looking for the perfect mobile for Marlo's crib, I decided to just make her one (shocking!). I am not a fan of the big bulky mobiles that attach to the side of the crib. I am well aware that there might come a time when the lights, music, spinning, vibrations and whatever else those things do might actually come in handy but personally, I like the simple look. She seems to be very interested in anything that has multiple colors and dimension (picture frames on the wall, chandeliers, window treatments, and her all time favorite...fans). 

I absolutely love how it turned out (I know I say that about every project I put on here... but that is why it is on this blog. There are many projects that are not blog worthy and therefor end up in a closet or garage).  I had purchased Marlo's curtains from World Market. I bought an extra one along with some coordinating fabric and a good friend of mine turned it into her bedding (read more about that here). Since we didn't know if Marlo was going to be a "him" or a "her", I decided to wait on the mobile. Since she is now all girl and has more pink than I ever imagined would be in this house, I figured I had to make the mobile a tad girly. 

Here is the process (lots of photos...but it actually only took a few hours)...

Supplies: Cricut, scrapbook paper, a medium embroidery hoop, string or fishing line, and a wooden bead

First, I cut out all of the shapes using the autofill on my Cricut.

I chose to copy the print and colors of the curtains (except I added a little splash of pink to girly it up!)

Using leftover stain, I stained the inside piece of the embroidery hoop. I also stained a small wooden bead to cover the knots holding the hoop in position. 

Using a 16 gage needle, I made holes in all of the cutouts. 

Using dark brown string, I tied 3 knots before I strung on a shape. 

I did 6 shapes on each string and made 9 strings full of random shapes and colors.

I tied each string of shapes onto the hoop keeping them at similar lengths. Next I tied 3 strings onto the hoop and gathered them about 8 inches above the hoop. I placed the bead here to cover the knot. I then cut and attached a long piece of string to attach to the ceiling. 


THE REACTION!....
....SHE LOVED IT!!











Linked up on:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...