.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Detail Detail Detail | Bus Stop.

A bus stop is a non-place, which is a place of transience that do not hold enough significance to be regarded as "places".

When I took this photo I could only visualize this concept but reversed. These wooden kitchen chairs, which I imagine locals brought in, give all the significance a place needs to be part of someone's routine.

I look at it and I see a shelter, a meeting point, a chatting room. The TWO chairs invite to a friendship.

I don't argue that a bus stop in London, New York or even Lisbon is a non-place, but in small villages I am sure it has a different soul, don't you think?

Please click on the picture to enlarge.

Marc Augé coined the phrase "non-place" | Introduction to an anthropology of supermodernity - A good essay to read over the weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...